Thursday, October 15, 2015

What the heck...



One of my favorite movie scenes (don't judge, it's not that insightful, at all actually)
Risky Business, starring Tom Cruise, 1983
Miles: Sometimes you gotta say "What the F!*%", make your move. Joel, every now and then, saying "What the F!*%", brings freedom. Freedom brings opportunity, opportunity makes your future. So your parents are going out of town. You got the place all to yourself.
Joel Goodson: Yeah.
Miles: What the f!*%.

Ain't it the truth?!

I am a chronic worrier. I joke about this to many friends and family. And sadly, more people than I'd like to list can relate. Our society is a stressful, fast-paced one. More stress = more anxiety. Anxiety is caused when our natural, neurological tranquilizers are suppressed by stress. When my doctor diagnosed me with Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I knew the cause was three-fold: Genetics, Upbringing, and Stress. That said, it is never a surprise when I find myself anxious particularly during a new, stress-filled season in life.Yes, it does bother me when people act like this is my fault. It certainly is not, as I have studied anxiety more. And as much as I wish it would go away with a simple and assertive "Just STOP IT!" That doesn't help much either. It's all about baby steps in the right direction. Baby steps to freedom.

What does Joel say to Miles? Sometimes you just gotta give it up. Surrender! There, with your white flag raised high, you will find true freedom. Thankfully, my anxiety has subsided significantly the last two weeks. Through the darkest of seasons, God always reminds me why I need to be in his Word. It fills and refreshes my soul. Dark times also lead me into ferocious prayer. Really, I mean ferocious. The kind that brings you to your knees... to tears. The kind that surrenders all and says whole-heartedly, "Thy will be done." True freedom right there.

So this week, I've been learning to say "What the Heck!" (No F-bombs droppin from this girl's mouth... at least not in front of anyone! :))

Here goes some recent "what the hecks":

- Oh no, I totally just ate that whole Panera cookie... I was being so good today! Oh but it was so good... what the heck!
- *Makes bad joke* Nobody laughs... Sheesh, how could I be so stupid?! Ugh, everyone thinks I'm so weird.... *giggles at my own joke*.... what the heck!
- Wow, she died of heart failure?! Oh gosh... I'm starting to feel sick. My heart! Woah... that didn't feel normal at all..... You know what.... God's had my days numbered even before I was born. What the heck!
- *gets home from work and the house is a mess* Ahh! What has happened in here?! I need to get all of this back together right now! But... I'm hungry. What the heck, it can wait.
- Hmmm my butt looks big in these pants... Oh geez! It is HUGE! Eric look at my butt!
  Eric: "Hmmm looks the same to me! Your butt isn't huge. Nicki Minaj... now she's got a HUGE butt!" True.... what the heck!
- Holy cow.. look at her biceps! I want arms like that. Who am I kidding... I am too weak! I can't even do a pull up because my arms are so small. Maybe I should just skip arm day... it's doing no good anyway...... NO... What am I doing to myself? What the heck... here we go... arm workout #100
- *wakes up in middle of night stressed out* *writes mental note of tomorrow's, I mean today's todo list*  Ah! What the heck... it can wait.
- Woah! Now that was just plain rude... Why am I targetted like this?.... Ha! Oh yeah, I don't care! What the heck!


When you build your house upon the rock, it cannot be shaken. That is my goal everyday. Saying, "What the heck!" to the stresses of life, the mean and crazy people, and the vivid imagination I have, and handing it over to the one whose ways and thoughts are higher than mine.


Blessings!

xoxo, The Law Student's wife.


No comments:

Post a Comment