Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Laying down our Isaacs

These past few months have been, no doubt, the hardest ones I've faced.. arguably ever. I have not shared a lot with the public. I don't feel ready to share a lot of my struggles and not sure when/if I will but I wanted to share some encouragement that God put on my heart today.

Yesterday, things ended with the family I planned to nanny for. I'm quite thankful to be honest. There were major red flags, and I was counseled by family & friends and advised not to take the job in the first place. Regretfully, I ignored that advice. But, in spite of me, God was gracious. Call it God's hedge of protection over me. I'm just thankful he plucked me out of that situation sooner rather than later.

This is just one trial among many I've faced recently. It's actually probably one of the least difficult, to be honest. But a trial nonetheless that brings me to the Lord's feet, begging for mercy, "Why are you testing my faith SO MUCH lately?"

Coincidentally, my bible reading plan had me read Genesis 22 yesterday. Lord, I know this was no coincidence.

In this chapter, God tests Abrahams obedience. God says to Abraham, "Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains of which I shall tell you." (Gen. 22:2) 




Can you imagine? God is asking a lot of Abraham, to say the least. He's asking him to give up his only son "whom you love" for him. 

God often tests his children in the same way. How? Through adversity and hardship. Because it is only then that the quality of our faith is on display. 


Exodus 20:20 says, "Moses said to the people, 'Do not fear, for God has come to test you, that the fear of him may be before you, that you may not sin.'"

So what does Abraham do? He rose early in the morning, saddled his donkey, and took his son Isaac with him to the place God command
ed him to go. Isaac, confused and unaware of what was about to happen, said to Abraham, "'My father!' And he said, 'Here I am, my son.' He said, 'Behold, the fire and the wood, but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?' Abraham said, 'God will provide for himself the lamb for a burnt offering, my son.' So they went both of them together." (Gen. 22:7-8)

Do you see Abrahams faith? He didn't know why God wanted him to sacrifice his only son of all people, but he had confidence in God and was obedient anyways. 


When they came to the place of which God had told him, Abraham built the altar there and laid the wood in order and bound Isaac his son and laid him on the altar, on top of the wood. 10 Then Abraham reached out his hand and took the knife to slaughter his son. 11 But the angel of the Lord called to him from heaven and said, “Abraham, Abraham!” And he said, “Here I am.” 12 He said, “Do not lay your hand on the boy or do anything to him, for now I know that you fear God, seeing you have not withheld your son, your only son, from me.” 13 And Abraham lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, behind him was a ram, caught in a thicket by his horns. And Abraham went and took the ram and offered it up as a burnt offering instead of his son. 14 So Abraham called the name of that place, “The Lord will provide”; as it is said to this day, “On the mount of the Lord it shall be provided.” 15 And the angel of the Lord called to Abraham a second time from heaven 16 and said, “By myself I have sworn, declares the Lord, because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, 17 I will surely bless you, and I will surely multiply your offspring as the stars of heaven and as the sand that is on the seashore. And your offspring shall possess the gate of his enemies, 18 and in your offspring shall all the nations of the earth be blessed, because you have obeyed my voice.”

God graciously provided a lamb to be sacrificed instead so that Abraham would not have to kill his only son and, in return, blessed him for his unwavering faith and obedience.  He names the place "The LORD will provide". What does all of this foreshadow? The ultimate sacrifice God would later provide to save the souls of men. Who was the sacrifice? Namely, HIS only beloved Son, Jesus Christ.



I believe this passage is twofold. First and most importantly, it points us to Christ. This event was a small glimpse, mirroring the redemption plan God had by later sending his only Son as the ultimate sacrifice to die for our sins so as to eliminate the need for human sacrifices. Whoever believes in him, shall not perish but have eternal life.

Secondly, as a believer, this passage convicted me. Is my faith deeply rooted enough? Am I prepared to constantly lay down my most prized possessions at God's feet? Will I respond with obedience like Abraham when my faith is tested? Do I trust that God will provide?

The good news is: God has already provided everything I need in the ULTIMATE lamb... Jesus Christ himself.


By trusting in him, I've been adopted into the family of God, I can rest in the Lord and trust the he is a faithful father who provides for his children. We may not ever know why he brings certain trials or so many trails our way, but WE CAN trust him in a way that allows us to be obedient without hesitation and in the face of the unknown.

I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I know who holds tomorrow and I have no choice but to trust in him and know that he is working all things together for my good (Romans 8:28). I am free to lay down my Isaacs... lay them down no matter how big or small... my pride, my idol of comfort, my fears, anxieties, all of my hopes and dreams and say, "They're yours Lord. Do what you will. I trust you."


xoxo, A Law Student's Wife 

No comments:

Post a Comment