Friday, August 14, 2015

We made it!

We are here in our new home state OKLAHOMA! 

We arrived last Tuesday thanks to my amazing dad who drove the Penske truck and my cute little sis who took on the passenger's role. Eric and I followed in the car behind. It was a scenic and lovely drive and the only trouble we ran into was a huge thunderstorm in Texas!

Thank you to everyone who helped make this happen! We love you all and would not be on this journey without your prayers and support.





I still cannot believe we are here... this is something we prayed for months and months ago. It is so surreal to be sitting on my couch in a new, unfamiliar place.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I am not in CA anymore and that I can't just drive over to the beach or to my in-laws. Rather, different instances of culture shock are often a reminder that I am not in CA anymore.



Examples:


1) The painter that came to paint our place. Couldn't understand a word he said. His drawl was that crazy!



2) I have seen like 20 signs that say either "God Bless America"or "Jesus is Lord". Also, there is a church on every corner. I am NOT kidding. And they are all BEAUTIFUL buildings. Welcome to the Bible Belt!! (Not complaining) It's weird not feeling like a minority here...



3) When I go running in the morning, people actually say "Good mornin'!" In California, I would say "Good morning" to every person I passed and was hardly ever returned a smile or nod back. (with a few exceptions of some fellow regular runners who I miss dearly)



4) Neighbors sit on their porches. No, it's not just in the movies... Doesn't matter how hot or humid it is, I still see couples sitting on the front porch in their cute chairs.



5) EVERYTHING closes at 9pm. No exceptions. Eric, my dad, Kori, and I all tried finding a place to eat around 9:30 and there was only one place open. We were their last customers.


6) There's no Costco. Okay, this one makes me sad. We just gave in and got a Sam's club membership but it's not the same :( They don't give you boxes for your groceries and they don't have nearly as many samples!



7) The weather! Guys, it POURED this morning for about 10 minutes. I loved every second of it. Including the house-shaking thunder. Although, I am sure it was a "baby" storm compared to what Oklahoma is used to. And guess what. Now it is perfectly sunny and not a cloud in the sky.

Also, last week was HOT but I really didn't mind it at all. Besides, we have central A/C. Thank you Jesus.



8)  The prices! Gas is sooooo cheap! I'm talking even $2.05 a gallon.

9) Friendly people! On the roads, in grocery stores, in the bank, pedestrians, you name it. We went to a church on Sunday to try it out and there was NO WAY we were getting out of there without meeting 15+ new people. It was awesome! Right when the service ended, it felt like a line of people came up to meet us! I've never felt so welcomed. <3



10) Giant bugs! Eric told me to write this one. He is constantly outside taking pictures of new bugs. (I married the cutest nerd). He found a gigantic, weird-looking wasp thing the other day and said he's going to take it the biology department at OU to find out what it is. Ha!



Oh and those fireflies... (I think they call them lightning bugs here)... let me tell you, they are like moving Christmas lights. I AM IN LOVE.

11) The sun sets close to 9pm here and the sky and sunset = gorgeous. 



12) It is not uncommon to see mansions here. Every day, on my morning run, I find a new house that I fall in love with. Colonial, Victorian, Craftsman Style, you name it... they are beyond beautiful. This one's right next to the campus...


Those are just a few things I have noticed so far. VERY different here. But, we love it and don't mind calling it home.  I miss California and love that state for many reasons... but hey, I can't lie...You're doin' fine, Oklahoma! We like you already.


Oh, and I got an awesome job as an admin assistant for Arvest Bank in the Trust department. I am oh soooo excited about it. 

Until next time!! 

xoxox. Chelsey, the Law Student's Wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment