Monday, November 14, 2016

What the heart loves best--the mind studies most.

Today, in the start of a new bible reading plan, I read Genesis 1, Matthew 1, Ezra 1, and Acts 1.
After getting married, working full-time, and managing a house (cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc), I've found it increasingly difficult to get quiet time in during the early morning hours... the time of day I enjoyed getting into God's word for many years.

I confess that even the sin in me has seemingly conquered this area of my life, as I'd rather sit on the internet than read scripture and pray. I deleted my Facebook as a measure to resolve this, and I've been trying to be much more intentional about being in the Word.

What I've noticed, however, is that, while it is our duty to love God in deed... we often are more inclined to actually desire to do what we ought when we enjoy God.


In other words, my heart's desires become aligned with God's desires when I enjoy him. And how do I best enjoy him? Well, lots of ways, but one significant and crucial way to enjoy God is to study his Word. Ironically, when I am diligent in study, my heart tends to yearn for it more and more.

From today's scripture readings, I was captured by the following passage in Matthew 1:6-11...


The Ascension


So when they had come together, they asked him, “Lord, will you at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?” He said to them, “It is not for you to know times or seasons that the Father has fixed by his own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.” And when he had said these things, as they were looking on, he was lifted up, and a cloud took him out of their sight. And while they were gazing into heaven as he went, behold, two men stood by them in white robes, and said, “Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into heaven? This Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will come in the same way as you saw him go into heaven.”

Jesus is coming. He is coming in the same way he left to be seated at the right hand of God's throne. When he does come again, he will renew the heavens and the earth. All will be made right. What a glorious truth to meditate on as we face a new presidency.


xoxo, A Law Student's Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment