Tuesday, July 5, 2016

I shall not want.

 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. Psalm 23:1



Contentment. It’s easier said than done, but a life lived in contentment and joy is a life that is abundantly richer and fuller than a joyless life that consists of always chasing after the wind. How can we be content? With the Holy Spirit, God makes it possible. That said, we must always be aware of the things that rob us of joy and contentment:


1) Love of money.

Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” – Hebrews 13:5 
Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content. But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs… -1 Timothy 6:6-11 
A greedy man stirs up strife, but the one who trusts in the Lord will be enriched. – Proverbs 28:25 
As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy. They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is truly life. – 1 Timothy 6:17-19 
Better is the little that the righteous has than the abundance of many wicked. Psalm 37:16

Money is not evil, nor are material goods. But the Bible warns us because money can so easily become an idol in our hearts. Why? Because money has the appearance of being the source of all happiness in the world. It is true that one cannot live without money in our society. But we must remember, where does the money come from? God. He is the one who provides for us. He gives us everything we need, stretches that dollar, and ensures that we are taken care of. He works through the means of our efforts, our talents and hard work, and in many other ways.

It becomes a serious sin when we view money as the ultimate source of happiness and joy. If we do immoral things to gain wealth, if we hold onto our money too tightly (lacking generosity), and/or if all of our dreams and wishes revolve around the goal of getting more money, we can know that money sits on the throne of our hearts and that we lack contentment.
I’ve personally struggled with this. I have been on both sides of the spectrum where I’ve held on to my money too tightly and other times when my greatest pursuit was simply to get more money so that I would feel more secure, even though I had everything I needed already.



2) Jealousy 

Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another. – Galatians 5:26 
Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. - 1 Corinthians 13:4-6 
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves – Philippians 2:3 
But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth. This is not the wisdom that comes down from above, but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. – James 3:14-15 
For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice.- James 3:16 
A tranquil heart gives life to the flesh, but envy makes the bones rot.- Proverbs 14:30

Jealousy of others is not something I’ve greatly struggled with. The Lord has blessed me in this area and, since I was a little girl, I’ve rarely held envy in my heart toward another person. I wouldn’t say it was because I was super holy or super content with a super blessed life… no, not at all. I would say it was more that I had been the victim of jealous-natured people and their behavior and I saw the ugliness of that sin from a very young age.

I have had great friendships in my life fall apart due to a jealous spirit. Jealousy and competition suck the joy out of friendships and are detrimental to both parties. When we fervently desire what others have, we not only grow hate in our hearts toward the other person but we begin to hate our own lives.

I will say that I have and do struggle with being jealous for a dream life that I’ve created in my own mind. I am often jealous for blessings I believe I deserve… for things I do not currently have. So much so that it clouds my vision. Someone once told me: the secret to having it all is knowing you already do. This is trite but true.

Jealousy is a slap in God’s face because it says “Lord, you don’t really know what is best for me. You have made a mistake in giving me the life I have. I am still lacking what I need.”

Envy not only destroys friendships, it also turns us into individuals who cannot rejoice or celebrate with others. Many times, it even turns us into the kind of people who rejoice and celebrate when the person we are jealous of falls or fails in life. It is Satan at work and it results in a lack of contentment in our own lives. What a miserable person jealousy creates.


3) Worry 

Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?  Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? – Matthew 6:25-27 
Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. – Matthew 6:24 
Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. - Matthew 11:28-30 
And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his  span of life? - Luke 12:25 
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you.Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. – John 14:27

Y’all know I struggle with this one the most. Too often I am so caught up in worrying about the what-ifs, I forget to enjoy the here-and-now. Worry stems from pride just like jealousy. It says “Lord, I know what’s best for my life and you don’t.” It suggests that God doesn’t know how to be God.


So what is the remedy?

This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118-:24
Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. – Philippians 4:11-12 
Better is a little with the fear of the Lord than great treasure and trouble with it. - Proverbs 15:16 
Only let each person lead the life that the Lord has assigned to him, and to which God has called him. This is my rule in all the churches. – 1 Corinthians 7:17 
So, brothers, in whatever condition each was called, there let him remain with God. - 1 Corinthians 7:24 
Repentance, Prayer, and Praise. 

Realize where you are failing to be content as God commands you to be. Maybe it’s in a job, singleness, married life, your current state of finances, your living situation, etc.

Tell God how you are feeling and don’t sugar coat it. “Lord, I am really unhappy with where you have me. Actually, I hate it. I have a jealous heart toward those who have more than I do and I assume I know what is best for me.”


Repent and ask that God forgive you for your lack of joy in where he has you.

Then ask for him to help you in this area. Ask that he give you a heart that mirrors his own, one that hates what he hates and loves what he loves. Ask him for a thankful heart and eyes to see his blessings.

Practice actively being happy for those you envy. When someone in your sphere of influence prospers, rejoice with them, realizing you have every reason to be happy for them and not angry at God. You already have everything you need.



Lastly, the best cure for discontentment is praise. Every morning and night, when you pray, begin with praise. Let thankfulness be something you actively work on every day. Even writing down a list of things you are thankful goes a long way. When we praise God for who he is and thank him for what he’s done in our lives and for what he’s given us, all of our grumblings and complaints fall away from our vision. He is good all of the time. He gives us everything we need and the ability to enjoy his good gifts.

Do yourself a favor and savor the sweetness of the unique blessings he’s showered upon you! It will be the most freeing thing you do.

xoxo, A Law Student's Wife







No comments:

Post a Comment